When I lived overseas I had a gas oven hooked to a propane tank. More than once, in the middle of baking, the propane would go out. Being a foreigner, getting a replacement tank wasn’t easy and sometimes took up to a week.
So what does one do when the gas runs empty and you’re standing over half-baked banana bread? I frowned in disappointment, then I half-heartedly turned to the microwave. And it baked. Not as beautifully as the oven, but it definitely saved the day. And I was a genius.
Now, in a world where it’s popular to bake cakes, breads, brownies and cookies in mugs in the microwave, it may not be genius, but it sure is yummy.
So if you’re looking for a recipe for a gluten-free, processed sugar-free banana bread in a mug, here you go:
1. Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in the bottom of your mug.
2. Mix in a separate bowl:
- 3 Tablespoons of Orgran All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 3 Tablespoons of Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking powder and
- a sprinkle of salt.
3. In the mug with the butter, add
- 1 Tablespoon of Almond Milk or Milk
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Mashed Banana (Brown bananas work best!)
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla
4. Pour the dry ingredients into the mug and mix well with a fork.
5. Mix in 2 Tablespoons of chopped Pecans.
6. Microwave for 1 minute.