Every home remedy I’ll post is one that I have used or use regularly and most have stories attached. This story still makes my husband stand tall in pride.
While at Mamaw’s house for Christmas vacation, a very high fever came on me quickly. It must have been 103 or 104. I remember lying on the ground, shivering. Everyone was trying to figure out what to do to lower my temperature. (My Mamaw and Mom are the home remedy masters!) Bryan jumped on the internet, did a quick search and came up with a remedy using egg whites.
They covered my feet with egg-white-dipped paper towels and put on socks. Literally within minutes, I was sitting up, doing much better. Apparently, the egg whites had drawn the fever from my head to my toes. It was almost gone! And Bryan was the hero.
We’ve passed this remedy on to others and plan to use it on Lucy when needed.
- It may take 5 or more egg whites. (Less if for a child.)
- Find paper towels. (Alternately, you can use a thin handkerchief-type cloth. A regular towel is not recommended because it will soak up too much of the egg.) Fold each to be around the foot size.
- Saturate the paper towels with the egg whites. They should be dripping!
- With the person lying down, cover the bottoms of the his/her feet with the egg white paper towels. Yes, this is messy!
- Carefully put on socks to keep the egg whites in place.
- The person should remain lying down and wait as the heat is drawn from the head, where it’s dangerous, to the feet, where it’s not.
- If the paper towels dry up and some fever still remains, reapply more egg whites until the fever goes. My memory is fuzzy about the time, but you should give it at least 20 minutes.
I’ve also heard that egg whites are great on burns. Has anyone tried that?